French fries are a classic side dish used in conjunction with many different kinds of dishes, but even the classics get a little boring after a while. If you are looking for a great tasting alternative, then you may want to consider some sweet potato fries. The trick is finding any easy to use sweet potato fries recipe.
- 10 sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven. Set the temperature on your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and then turn it on. This will allow your oven to heat up completely, and be ready for the baking when you have finished preparing the potatoes.
- Cut and soften the potatoes. Cut, or dice, the potatoes until they are in the same general shape as regular French fries. These potatoes can be what ever size you like, from shoestring sized fries to those nice thick steak fries. All you need to do is cut them to the size that you want, and remember that they may shrink a little bit when they are cooked. After cutting them to the size that you want, it is time to soften the potatoes up a little by "precooking them." Place the water and the potatoes into a microwave safe dish (preferably a large one) and then place the bowl into a microwave. Cook the potatoes on high for five minutes.
- Season the potatoes. Once the microwave timer has gone off, remove the potatoes from it and then drain the water out of the bowl. Pour the seasonings and olive oil into the bottom of the bowl, and then begin to toss the fries like you would a salad. This will allow the fries to become fairly evenly seasoned. When you are finished seasoning the potatoes, lay them out in a single layer on an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet. If necessary, use more than one cookie sheet to cook all the fries.
- Bake. Place the cookie sheet into the middle of your preheated oven, and allow them to bake for no more than 30 minutes. Halfway through that time you will want to turn the fries over so that they can cook evenly.
- Remove and serve. Depending on the stove that you use, your fries may be finished before the time limit is up, so when they are the desired crispness that you want, you will know that it is time to remove them. While you can always eat the fries fresh from the oven, you may want to allow them to cool a little prior to eating, otherwise you may burn your tongue on accident.
The recipe as listed here is designed to provide around 10 servings. This should be plenty for most casual situations. That being said, if you need more (or less) all you need to do modify the amount of ingredients a tad. For example, if you want to add another serving, then use an additional sweet potato. The herbs and spices can be adjusted to taste.
Whether on a salad, sandwich, or as a simple tasty treat, sliced cucumber is always a favorite. Unfortunately, even though ...
There are many things to remember when preparing vegetables for cooking or to go in a recipe. Carefully washing, cutting, and ...
Twice baked potatoes can be a great addition to just about any kind of dinner. Not only do they taste great, they often look ...