Pot roast is a favorite dinner for many families. However, what isn't that much of a favorite is how much time and effort often goes into the making of pot roast. Well, that is where the slow cooker comes in. Slow cookers are designed to take much of the cooking time off of your hands and slowly cook the food in a safe and controlled manner throughout the day while you are away at work or off doing something else. Here is a great recipe that you can use to make some perfect slow cooker pot roast.
- 1 3- to 5-pound beef pot roast
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 bag of pearl onions (optional)
- 2 large onions (optional)
- 1 bag of sliced baby carrots
- Beef broth
- Onion soup
- 1 package mushroom gravy
- Prepare vegetables. Begin making your pot roast by preparing the vegetables that you will be using. First peel and slice the potatoes and set them aside in a large bowl. Next, if you aren't using a bag of sliced baby carrots, which already come peeled and sliced, then you will need to peel and slice some carrots. Put the carrots into the same large bowl as the potatoes, then start on the onions. If you are using pearl onions, you only need to remove the skin; if you are using large onions skin and then slice them. Place the onions in the same bowl as your potatoes and carrots.
- Prepare broth. Prepare your broth by mixing together the mushroom gravy mix as indicated on the packaging, as well as the onion soup mix. Stir the mushroom gravy, onion soup, and beef broth together.
- Mix ingredients. On the bottom of your slow cooker, lay a bedding of vegetables. On top of this bedding, place your beef pot roast. Around the sides, and on top of the pot roast, place the rest of your vegetables. There should be very little open space left. Now pour the broth mixture that you made on top of everything.
- Cook. Put the lid on the slow cooker and turn the heating element to your desired heating level. If you are making the meal before heading to work, turn the heat to low and allow the meat to cook for eight to nine hours. If you are making the meal on a weekend, start everything around noon and turn the heat up to high. Allow the meal to cook for four hours and it will be done.
Now that you have cooked your pot roast, it is time to dig in. This meal will serve four, with some left over for the next day.
The key to creating great stuffed peppers is knowing how long to cook them. Since oven temperatures vary, test your ...
You can substitute the Polish sausage with ground sausage but, if you do, make sure that you buy ground sausage with the ...
Years ago I worked as a cook in a children's home, and the dietician provided me this recipe for peach cobbler. It is one ...