When buying locally grown vegetables from local venders not only are you getting the best in vegetables but you are also helping your local economy. You also help keep the local farmers in business. You just need to know what is available for you in your local community. Below there are some different ideas and ways to obtain the freshest fruits and vegetables:
- Own Garden. There is, of course, your own garden, which is probably the freshest way to get vegetables. Just go into your own garden and pick the vegetables and using them right away.
- Farmers' Market. When a group of local farmers get together once or maybe twice a week to sell their products it is usually at a farmers' market. This can be a fun way to shop for fresh vegetables. Some of the markets may have live entertainment and other homemade products. Farmers' markets are found at a public place usually a park or even a parking lot. Shopping at the farmers' market is a great way to get fresh produce and meet the local farmers while getting great bargains at the same time.
- U-Pick. This term is used to describe when farmers open their fields for the public to come and pick their own fruits and vegetables. They are open only during the harvest season, which is from the summer to the fall. This is usually cheaper than the farmers' market.
- Farm Stands. A farm stand is where a single farmer sells their own produce. You can usually find farm stands on the roadside near the farm or even from the back of a truck that is parked on the streets. Farm stands are usually only open when the weather is warm. A lot of the farm stands are more of a self serve type of business.
- Food Co-ops. A food cooperative is owned by either the workers or customers. Co-ops offer grocery items of the best value and are of the highest quality. Usually co-ops help support their local community by selling the produce that is grown locally and also they help educate their customers on the produce that they buy. Co-ops are usually opened year round and are often a retail store or a buying club.
- Community Supported Agriculture. This is a relationship with the farm and then receives a weekly basket of food product. You make a financial commitment to a farm and then become a member. Usually, members pay up-front for the coming season and may even require that you work some on the farm.
After reviewing the different ways to obtain fresh produce, find one that fits your lifestyle and that you are most likely do. It may take a little bit of time to see what really will work for you. Whatever you decide you can be sure that you have the freshest vegetables and fruit available.
Ripen hard avocados and keep guacamole green. Don't buy another avocado until you've read these tips!
While most people have had regular French fries before, not quite as many have had sweet potato fries. If you are looking ...
Mushrooms, though they may look a little icky to many children, are a great ingredient for just about every kind of dish. ...