If you are looking for a great tasting Mexican dish that just about everyone will love, then you really need to consider making some chile rellenos. Yes, the process can be a little intimidating for new and inexperienced home chefs, it is still a project that can be done. Not only is the work well worth it, it is an impressive dish to pull out at your next gathering.
- 4 poblano chile peppers (fresh)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove, (chopped)
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 2 roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup Colby cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup corn oil
- Cook the peppers. Place the peppers into the pan, on medium high heat, and begin roasting them. Turn the peppers frequently until they have become black and blistered all over. This should be done in as even of a manner as possible.
- Sweat the peppers. While the peppers are still hot, place them in to a plastic bag. Seal the plastic bag, and allow the peppers to sweat for a while (about ten minutes).
- Prepare the other ingredients. As the peppers are sweating, begin preparing the other ingredients. Chop the tomatoes, garlic, and onions, and then place them in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the cheese as well, and then add a little salt and pepper for added taste.
- Peel the peppers. Take your peppers out of the plastic bags, and begin peeling off the skin. It may be easier on you if you wear some rubber gloves when you do this. Another way that you can make this easier is if you run the peppers under some cool water to help wash away the burnt bits.
- Stuff the peppers. Use a knife to make a small cut into the side of the peppers, and begin removing the seeds, veins, and other innards. When those are removed, begin stuffing the peppers with the cheese mixture. Seal the cut with a toothpick, and set the peppers aside.
- Make an egg wash. Place egg whites into a large mixing bowl, and begin whipping them. Continue to whip them until they are thick and fluffy, and then add the egg yolks. Continue to whip the eggs together until everything is blended.
- Begin heating the oil. Begin heating about 1/4 inch of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Batter the peppers. Dip the peppers into the egg wash, and then cover them with a light dusting of flour.
- Cook the peppers. Cook the peppers by carefully placing them into the preheated oil. Fry them on both sides of the peppers until they are golden brown. If you see some cheese seeping out, don't worry, that is normal.
- Drain and serve. Remove the peppers from the pan, and then place them onto some paper towels. Once they have drained of all the oil, serve and enjoy.
This recipe, as stated, will make four servings. If you are interested in making more, simply increase the ingredients that you use to make more. Be sure that you serve, and eat, the chile rellenos while they are still warm, since these do not take too well to reheating.
If you and your family enjoy having Mexican food, then you really can't go wrong with beef enchiladas. There is a trick ...
A dish that many people seem to love is enchiladas. This is a wonderful dish that is not difficult to create, if you just ...
Chicken enchiladas are a tasty Mexican dish, but they can often be filled with unwanted fats and carbs. This recipe is a ...