Seven Layer Salad
BLT's are a great sandwich and can really top off the day when they are made right. However, there are times when you may not be in the mood for a sandwich, but would rather have a salad. When such a situation arises, why not use this seven-layer salad recipe? It has all the yummy goodness of a BLT, only in salad form. Best of all, it can be eaten within 30 minutes of the time you start making it, and can provide up to 12 servings.
- 1 Head of iceberg lettuce, large
- 1 Red onion, large
- 1 Pound bacon
- 10 Ounces of green peas (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 10 Ounces of Cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 2 Large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Cup cauliflower, chopped
- 2/3 Cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1-1/4 Cups mayonnaise or salad dressing (your choice)
- Prepare the lettuce. With this salad, you will want to have smaller pieces of lettuce if at all possible. The easiest way to do this is by simply chopping the lettuce into the size that you prefer, setting each piece into a colander as you get finished. Once you have chopped the lettuce, rinse it out in the sink to get it as clean as possible, and then set the colander aside so that you can let it dry while you are working on the rest of the salad.
- Cook the bacon. While the traditional method for cooking bacon is to fry it up on a skillet, there is another method that you can use to get your bacon done quickly, evenly, and have it turn out nice and straight (which is better for crumbling). Line a cookie sheet with some aluminum foil, and preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is heating up, line the bottom of the cookie sheet with the bacon, and then place it into the oven. Allow the bacon to bake for five minutes, and then start checking periodically until the bacon is done to your tastes. Remove the bacon from the oven, and place the bacon on a plate lined with some paper towels to drain. Let the bacon cool before crumbling.
- Lay the foundation. In a large salad bowl (preferably one that has a fairly flat bottom) begin laying the foundation for your salad. Do this by first laying down a layer of lettuce, and then a layer of your other ingredients (don't use the mayo, sugar, or parmesan cheese though). Repeat as necessary until you have used up all of your ingredients.
- Make your dressing. In a medium mixing bowl, or large measuring cup, mix together the mayo or salad dressing, sugar, and parmesan cheese with a whisk, continue to mix the ingredients until everything is nice and mixed, and then drizzle it evenly over the salad.
- Refrigerate and serve. While you can always eat the salad while it is still nice and fresh, you can also chill it for a little while. Simply place the bowl into a refrigerator, and then allow it to cool until you are ready to eat.
Leave your own comment:
Comments for this tip:
There are currently no comments for this tip. (Be the first to leave your comment—just use the simple form above!)