Seven layer dip is perhaps one of the most perennial of all party foods. Not only does it just look festive and inviting, when it is done right it can taste simply fantastic! The trick is finding a seven layer dip recipe that will taste great, but is also fairly easy to make. All you need to do is follow these simple steps, and you will have a seven layer dip that your friends and family will love.
- 1 16 ounce package of shredded cheese (your favorite type)
- 6 medium sized, ripe avocados (peeled, cored, and mashed)
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 8 ounce cans of bean dip (use your favorite brand)
- 2 3 ounce cans of black olives (sliced, chopped, or diced your choice)
- 2 bunches of chopped green onions
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 package taco seasoning mix (use two for a stronger taste)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Make avocado sauce. In a medium sized mixing bowl, place the avocado paste along with the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Using a spatula, spoon, or fork, put all the ingredients together and stir until the ingredients have been evenly distributed, set aside.
- Make taco flavoring. In a separate medium sized mixing bowl, you will want to begin making the taco flavored sour cream mix. To do this place the mayonnaise, sour cream, and taco seasoning in and then stir everything together. Continue to stir until everything is well mixed, and all has the same color.
- Lay the foundation. Using a large glass bowl (so that you can see all the layers) begin laying the foundation. Do this by laying down the bean dip. Typically you will want to have the bottom layer be at least 1/4 inch thick, but can easily be up to 1/2 inch depending on your preferences. Make it as smooth as you can.
- Start building the layers. Repeat the process that you used for the foundation with the next several layers. Typically the next layers are going to be as follows: avocado, sour cream/taco mix, tomatoes, onions, olives, and then cheese. However you can use whatever order you would like, or that you find visually appealing.
- Top off and garnish. Now that you have finished building the basic dip, you can top it off and garnish it however you like. Some traditional favorites are to use a little bit more sour cream, lots of cheese, olives, and possibly even some salsa. The choice is all up to you.
- Chill and serve. While you can serve the dish right away, it is usually better to allow it to chill for at least an hour, but no more than over night. Serve along with your favorite type of tortilla chips, and enjoy!
This recipe, as presented here, will make between 16 and 20 servings. Basically, this is about the right amount for most family gatherings. If you need more (or less) feel free to modify the recipe to suit your particular needs. Remember that you will need to eat the seven layer dip rather quickly after you have made it. Typically this means that you will need to eat it within a day or two so that you can enjoy it while it is still looking its best. Do not freeze the dip after you have made it, and be sure to cover it even if it is in the fridge.
Whether you are throwing a birthday party for your children, or you are having a social gathering of your friends and ...
Are you the one in charge of hosting your family's next get together? If that's the case, then you know exactly how ...
In your circle of friends, is it your turn in the rotation to plan a dinner party? If so, there are many things to think ...