Orange chicken, while it may not be traditional Asian cuisine, is a wonderful option that you can use if you are looking for something different. While it may seem like a dish that you can only get at certain restaurants, it is a meal that you can very easily make at home. All you need to do is follow these simple instructions. As listed this recipe is designed to feed six people. If you would like to make more, or simply would like to have a little left over when you are done, then increase the amount of ingredients that you use.
- 2 pounds boneless chicken, skinned and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3-1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed hot red chili pepper (for spicy dishes only)
- Mix the chicken seasoning. In a large sized mixing bowl place the egg pepper, salt, and one tablespoon of oil. Mix it all together. If it helps, use a whisk and act like you are preparing scrambled eggs.
- Add the chicken. Add the chicken to the egg mixture, and make sure that you coat all the pieces of egg. You may want to use a spoon or a spatula to help do this, or you can toss the chicken in the bowl like you are making some hot wings.
- Bread the chicken. In a separate, medium sized mixing bowl, place the cornstarch and flour. Mix the dry ingredients together, and then dredge the chicken pieces through the breading. Place each of the breaded pieces of chicken aside on a paper towel for later cooking.
- Fry the chicken. In a large wok, or skillet, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan to a depth of about 1/4 inch, and then heat everything up. Before you can start frying the chicken, you will want to make sure that you have had the oil heat up to about 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken into the oil, flipping them if necessary, until they are cooked completely. It should only take about 3-1/2 minutes to completely cook the chicken.
- Set aside and drain. As each piece of chicken is completed remove it from the oil, and then set it aside on a plate that has been covered with paper towels. This will allow the chicken to drain of all oil.
- Make the orange sauce. In a separate pan add a tablespoon of vegetable oil, and then set the heat to medium high. Once the oil has heated up, add your ginger and garlic, and stir it around for about 10 seconds. Mix in the green onions, and the chili's if you want the spicy version, and stir everything around for another 10 seconds. Finally, add your orange juice and water, and stir everything together before you add the zest, and then bring everything to a boil.
- Mix it all together. Once the sauce has started to boil, mix in the chicken, and then begin to stir it all together again. Slowly add a little bit of cornstarch, then pause and stir. This will allow you time to gauge the thickness of the sauce and get it where you like it. Continue to add the cornstarch and stir the mixture until you have reached your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, simply add a little water to thin it out again.
- Remove and serve. When you have reached the desired consistency, you can remove the chicken, and then serve it right away. You can easily serve this entrée with rice or noodles, whichever is your desire. Enjoy!
Every part of the world has its own cooking style, and Ireland is no different. This lovely country has a great culinary ...
Foods from Jewish culture have a distinct flavor that should not be overlooked. You can try these foods to add something ...
If you are new to French cuisine, chances are you have come across a sauce that you may not have ever heard of before, ...