Have you ever noticed how the right soup can either warm you up on a cold and bleak day, or how it can perfectly set off a meal? One of the more popular choices for soups as a side, or simply as a meal in itself, is that of cheddar broccoli soup. If you have never had this kind of soup before, you are certainly missing out. Instead of buying some premade, bland tasting canned version of this soup to try out, here's a simple recipe that you can use the next time you are in the mood.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cubed butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked broccoli
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Saute. Begin making your cheddar broccoli soup by sauteing the onions. Do this over a medium heat, using a medium saucepan and medium heat. Be careful that you do not overcook the onions, and allow them to caramelize. You will be done with the onions when they are tender, not when they are caramelized. Remember tender onions, not brown onions.
- Add dry ingredients. Once you have sauteed the onions, it is time to begin adding the other dry ingredients. Slowly add the flour, salt, and pepper and continue to stir until everything is completely blended. When you are done, you should have a simple roux made for the base of your soup.
- Add wet ingredients. Once your roux is made, go ahead and begin adding the milk and the chicken broth. Be sure that you slowly add the liquids to the saucepan, and that you are stirring the entire time. This will help to prevent any clumps or lumps from forming.
- Boil. Once you have added all the liquid ingredients to the saucepan, bring everything to a boil. Continue to stir, and allow the basic soup to boil for two minutes. Once the soup has thickened, reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add broccoli. While the soup begins to simmer, add your broccoli. Since this will immediately reduce the heat level in the soup, allow everything to cook once again. You will know that you are finished cooking the soup when the broccoli gets cooked all the way through (meaning that the broccoli is nice and tender).
- Remove from heat. Once you have gotten the broccoli nice and tender, it is time to add the cheddar portion of the soup. Simply add the cheese, and stir it in until it has melted.
- Serve. This soup is best served hot. When serving this recipe, please note that it will make four 1 cup servings of broccoli cheddar soup. Garnish according to your preferences, and enjoy.
Matzo ball soup is a great soup dish that combines two traditional items that is served at many a Seder, matzo balls and ...
Potato soup is a relatively easy, tasty, and heart warming meal that you can make and enjoy on particularly cool days. ...
Egg drop soup is perhaps one of the most beloved of all the Chinese style soups around. This long time favorite is also ...