If you have ever had Irish coffee before, then you know just how wonderful this great drink can be. If you haven't, then you don't know what you are missing. Instead of going to a local bar or restaurant and paying through the nose for some, use this great recipe for some outstanding Irish coffees. Use it, and you will be a hit at your next gathering of friends.
- 1 pot good quality, strong coffee
- 1 fifth of good quality, Irish whisky
- Real whipping cream, or half and half (optional)
- Sugar (optional)
- Quality counts. Use a good quality brand of real perked, or brewed coffee instead of instant. While there are many people who will swear by instant coffee, it is not up to the task of making a great tasting Irish coffee. Make your coffee a little stronger than you normally would, since the alcohol will deaden the taste of the coffee slightly. Pour your coffee into a coffee cup, and fill it 1/2 to 3/4 full. Add sugar to flavor if you wish.
- Use the real stuff! We are making Irish coffee, not Rum, or Scotch coffee (all of which can be good, mind you). This means that you should use a good quality Irish whiskey when making your Irish coffee. For a somewhat strong cup of Irish coffee, use a full shot glass (1 1/2 ounces) of Irish whisky, other wise only use 1 ounce of the good stuff.
- Add cream. Whipped cream should always be used as a garnish when making Irish coffee. Simply use a good quality real cream (or a little half and half for those on a diet) and lightly whip it right before serving.
- Serve hot. Irish coffee is supposed to be enjoyed hot, and sipped slowly. However, it should not be served boiling hot. The best way to ensure that you allow the coffee to reach the proper temperature is to set it aside for about 60 seconds to cool momentarily. While it is not necessary, you can allow the coffee to cool before adding the whisky, cream, or sugar. The choice is purely yours—just be sure that you allow the coffee to cool, not become cold.
This recipe will allow you to make as many cups of Irish coffee as you can get from a single pot of coffee. Do not be afraid to adjust the recipe for your personal preference. Whatever you do though, remember that this is an alcoholic beverage. That means that you should never drive after drinking it.
Contributor of numerous Tips.Net articles, Lee Wyatt is quickly becoming a regular "Jack of all trades." He is currently an independent contractor specializing in writing and editing. Contact him today for all of your writing and editing needs! Click here to contact. Learn more about Lee...
Culinary cooking may sound like a slightly redundant term, however it is not. Rather, culinary cooking is more along the ...
Removing Coffee Stains from Carpeting
It could be said that coffee is one of the world's most beloved drinks. After all, it can be found in the vast majority ...
Using Structures to Your Advantage
Even the most lovingly designed landscape can end up looking dreary through the misuse of structures. Using structures to ...