One of the problems that comes with making bread is that you typically need all kinds of equipment that seems to just get in the way. However, if you would like to make some great tasting bread that doesn't need all the extra equipment, then Irish soda bread is for you. Here is a great recipe that you can use to make some soda bread in just a little while.
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup dried fruit (raisins, apples, etc.) optional
- Prepare. Begin making your soda bread by first preheating the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. After you have turned the oven on, it is time to begin mixing together some of the ingredients. Using a whisk, mix together your flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Continue mixing the ingredients together until everything is well blended.
- Work the butter. Using your hands, begin working the butter into the flour mixture. Continue mixing and kneading everything together until your mixture begins to look like a coarse dough. Once you have reached this point, you can add the dried fruit to your mixture if you desire.
- Make a well. In then middle of the dough create a little well where you can put the egg and buttermilk. Once you have added those ingredients, begin to stir everything together until it becomes difficult. At this point rub your hands with a little flour, and then begin to knead the dough. Continue to knead the dough until everything is well mixed, being careful not to over knead the dough.
- Transfer the dough. When the dough begins to look like a shaggy ball, it is time to transfer it. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape it into a ball. Once the ball has been formed lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Bake the dough. Once again, you will need to transfer the dough. Using a knife, score the top of the dough ball to a depth of about 1 1/2 inch deep in a cross or x shape to help the bread cook better. When you have done this, place the dough into the preheated oven and allow it to bake. It should only take about 35 to 45 minutes until the bread is done. You will know that you are finished by checking with a toothpick or skewer. Insert the skewer into the bread, and if it comes out clean the bread is finished.
Scones are great dessert that makes for a wonderful change of pace. They are easy to make, and people will be talking ...
Bread is often one of the favorite parts of a meal, so make sure that the bread really is worth the excitement. Here's a ...
It's next to impossible to accurately describe the taste of sourdough bread. Whether you are making stuffing, French ...