Making Your Own Trail Mix
Written by Lee Wyatt (last updated June 7, 2017)
Trail mix has long been a fantastic treat used by campers and hikers for a little extra energy. While this may be were it got its start, it should no longer be consigned only to the realm of "camping food." Making our own trail mix is phenomenally easy, all you need to do is follow this great recipe. Once finished, you will have a healthy, and great tasting snack that can give you energy all day long.
- 2 cup roasted peanuts (salted)
- 1 cup roasted almonds (salted)
- 1 cup pistachios (salted)
- 1 cup roasted walnuts (salted)
- 1 cup shelled sunflower seeds (salted)
- 1 cup shelled pumpkin or squash seeds (salted, optional)
- 1 cup granola or cereal
- 2 ounces coconut
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup additional dried fruit (optional)
- 1 cup Hershey's M&M's
- 1/2 cup salted pretzels (optional)
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (optional)
- Add nuts. In a large mixing bowl begin adding the peanuts, almonds, pistachios, and walnuts.
- Add seeds. Add all of the seeds that you will be wanting in your trail mix to the nuts. The type of seeds that you use is up to you, and is purely a matter of preference. Simply make sure that they have had the shell removed prior to placing them into the mixture.
- Add fruit. Add all of the dried fruit that you will be using into the mixing bowl with the nuts. Raisins are always a great option, but any dried fruit can be used in this recipe. Some other great options would be craisins (dried cranberries), dried apples, dried bananas, dried blueberries, and even dried pineapple. It is your choice.
- Add cereal and pretzels. Place the cereal or granola, and the pretzels into the mixture. These items will add a little extra crunch to your trail mix, and will also add some interesting texture.
- Add sweet stuff. What trail mix would be complete without a little bit of sweet stuff added? Some of the best kinds of sweet stuff to use would be things like M&M's, butterscotch chips, and even peanut butter. Each of these will add a little extra flavor, and in the case of the peanut butter some extra protein.
- Mix thoroughly. Use a large spoon to mix everything together. By this time, it will be easier to toss the mixture as if you were tossing a salad. Continue to mix everything together until everything has been well mixed.
- Separate and store. Separate the trail mix into your desired serving sizes, or store the finished mix for later use.
This recipe will make 12 cups of trail mix, if all the ingredients listed are used. However, more or less trail mix can be made quite easily depending on the amount of ingredients that you use. Feel free to experiment with your own favorite ingredients as much as you want to, so that you can come up with your own favorite mixture . Serving sizes are up to you, but if used as a snack for a camping trip, then they should be placed into small sandwich sized sealable plastic bags. This will allow for easier carrying, and help keep the trail mix fresh. Otherwise, store the mix in a sealable plastic container, and remove as much as you want for a snack later on.
Nuts are great as a healthy snack, but you don't have to be limited to using nuts just as a snack. Cooking with nuts can ...
Pecans are a delicious snack or addition to many recipes. There are various ways for you to prepare them, and their ...
Make nuts last longer, peel chestnuts easily, and more. You can easily do it all with a few simple tips.