Cheesy Caramelized Onion Panini
Written by Lee Wyatt (last updated March 9, 2022)
Panini sandwiches are quickly becoming the current rage among chefs, and it seems like you can't turn around without seeing them somewhere. You can find them on just about any restaurant menu now, and even in the frozen food section of your local grocery store, or special bread for them in the bakery section. The reason that they are becoming so popular is that they are relatively easy to make, and make a huge impression when served. So, if you are looking for an easy sandwich to make, and one that will make a wonderful impression, then try this great twist on the classic grilled cheese sandwich: Cheesy Caramelized Onion Panini. You will just love the taste.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 4 teaspoons divided honey mustard
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread (optional)
- 4 whole-wheat roles (optional)
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese (or substitute your favorite cheese)
- Heat skillet. Place the olive oil into a heavy skillet, and begin heating it up. The olive oil will be properly heated when it has expanded to cover the bottom of the skillet, but has not yet begun to smoke. Avoid burning the oil by heating the oil on low or on medium-low heat until ready.
- Caramelize onions. Place the onions into the skillet, and turn the temperature down to low, and cover for thirty minutes. Occasionally, remove the lid and stir the onions. When the onions have reduced in size, and turned a beautiful golden brown caramel color (caramelized) they are finished. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat grill. Preheat your Foreman Grill, indoor grill, Panini or sandwich maker so that you can cook your sandwich easier. It doesn't really matter what kind of press you use, as long as you are using something that will cook both sides of the sandwich at the same time, evenly.
- Prepare Panini. Spread about 1 teaspoon of honey mustard onto four pieces of bread (or two rolls cut in half). Top the bread evenly with caramelized onions, and cheese. Place the remaining pieces of bread (or rolls) on to the sandwiches, and transfer to the grill.
- Grill the Panini. Close the cover of the grill, and allow the Panini to cook for either four minutes, or until the cheese melts. Remove the Panini and set aside. Repeat until all the Panini's have been cooked.
- Cool and serve. Allow the Panini to cool slightly before serving, One option for serving the Panini would be to slice it, and pull it apart slightly so that the cheesy goodness is visible for all to see.
This recipe, as listed here, will provide four servings. If you need to make more, then adjust the recipe accordingly. As you can see this recipe is incredibly easy to make, and puts a wonderful twist on the traditional grilled cheese sandwich. Enjoy!
When done right, a grilled cheese sandwich can arguably be one of the best comfort foods around. The trick though lies in ...
Are you looking for a great tasting, easy to make, snack that just about everyone would love to eat? If so, you really ...
Whether for lunch or dinner, it seems like sub sandwiches are a great option. If you would like to have a great sub ...