Coffee spice cookies are a wonderful blend of two great traditions, the coffee and spice cakes. What makes these cookies so great is that there is relatively little prep time (only about fifteen minutes) and even less cook time (about eight minutes). This means that within less than half an hour you can be sitting back and enjoying some great cookies. Best of all, these cookies are great for those last minute gatherings that always seem to happen around the holidays.
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee crystals (brand and flavor is up to you)
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (finely ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (finely ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat. Before you begin mixing the various ingredients, start by preheating the oven. Set the temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. By the time that you have mixed the ingredients, and rolled out the cookie dough the oven will be ready for cooking.
- Mix and make the dough. Place the instant coffee crystals into the hot water, and allow them to dissolve completely. In a large bowl begin mixing the shortening, egg, vanilla, coffee mixture, and shortening until everything is a light and fluffy froth. Slowly mix in all the remaining dry ingredients (minus the chocolate sprinkles). Continue mixing until you have the dough completed.
- Divide and roll. Separate the dough into two roughly equal parts, and then roll each into a "log" that is roughly 7 inches long, and 1-1/2 inches wide. Spread the chocolate sprinkles on the table, and then roll the log over the sprinkles. As you roll the dough over the sprinkles, be sure to lightly press the dough into the sprinkles to ensure that they get embedded properly. Repeat the process with the other log. Once completed, if time is not of the essence, wrap the logs with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Cut and cook. When ready to bake the cookies, cut the logs into 1/4 inch thick slices, and then place each slice onto an ungreased cookie sheet about one inch apart. Once a cookie sheet has been filled up, place it into the preheated oven and allow them to bake. Baking time is between six and eight minutes depending on the oven you use, and how firm you want the cookies. Once cooked, remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack prior to serving.
Kids love cookies. No-bake cookies are fast and easy, requiring little time to prepare and clean up.
Oreos are one of the best cookies that you can buy in stores. Now there's a recipe so you can make them ...
If you love the tastes of orange and chocolate, and simply adore the way that they can go hand in hand, then you need to ...