Homemade Shortbread Cookies
A good batch of shortbread cookies can make even the dreariest of winter days seem like something out of the movies, and when you add a cup of hot cocoa to the mix, it only get's better. About the only way that you can improve on this is by making the shortbread cookies yourself. Contrary to what many people may think, homemade shortbread cookies aren't all that difficult, or time consuming of a process either. In fact, if you use this recipe, in less than an hour and a half, you will be able to have some mouth watering shortbread cookies.
- 3/4 pound room temperature unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat. Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is warming up, you will have time to begin mixing and making your cookies.
- Mix and make the dough. In a large bowl mix the butter and sugar together until they are combined. Once you have the butter and sugar combined add the vanilla. In a separate bowl sift the flour and salt together to ensure they are properly mixed, and then add this mixture to the larger dough bowl. Continue mixing the ingredients together until you have the dough completely made. Remove the dough from the bowl, and wrap in some plastic wrap for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Roll and cut. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and remove the plastic wrap from the dough. Roll out the dough into a log that is roughly 1/2 inch thick, and then begin cutting off slices. Each slice should be about 1/4 inch thick, and then placed on an ungreased cookie sheet., about 3/4 inch apart from each other. If you desire, sprinkle each cookie with some sugar.
- Bake and cool. When you have a cookie sheet filled up place it into the oven and then allow them to bake for 20 to 25 minutes. You will know that the cookies are finished when the edges begin to brown. Remove the cookies and then allow them to cool at room temperature.
- Optional step. If you are really interested in making your shortbread cookies spectacular, then add a little bit of chocolate to the mix. Do this by placing the cooled cookies on some waxed or parchment paper. Once you have done that, melt about three ounces of the semisweet chocolate chips and then dipping half of each cookie into the chocolate. Place each cookie onto the waxed paper to cool after you have finished dipping it. Repeat as necessary until you have finished with all of the cookies. For an added twist, replace the semisweet chocolate chips with peanut butter or white chocolate chips.
Want a great dessert treat that's appropriate for any occasion? Try a cookie dough log for a change of pace.
Cookies are always a hit, and it seems like oatmeal cookies are always in favor. Here is an outstanding recipe for quick and ...
Whether it is during the holidays, or you are simply in the mood, gingerbread cookies are a wonderful treat. What is even ...