When you and your family are in the mood for Chinese, who wouldn't want to have some delicious ham-fried rice? Not only can this particular item serve as a side dish, but it can also be a main dish for the rice enthusiast. Unlike what many people may think, this particular dish is surprisingly easy to make.
- 3 large eggs
- 1-2/3 small chopped onion
- 2-7/8 cups water
- 1-2/3 cup frozen green peas (thawed)
- 1-2/3 cups long grain rice
- 6-2/3 ounces cooked ham/pork, cubed
- 5 tablespoons oil, equally divided
- 1-2/3 tablespoons butter (sliced evenly)
- 1-2/3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2/3 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
- Boil water and butter. Grab a medium sized pot, and add the water and butter. Turn the heat to medium-high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Carefully watch the water until the butter has completely melted.
- Add rice. When the water is boiling, and the butter has melted, begin adding the rice. Slowly stir the rice until it has been completely added to the water and butter mixture.
- Reduce heat and stir. Once you have stirred in the rice, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Allow the rice to cook, covered up, until it is tender. This should take about 15 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat, drain any remaining water, and set the rice aside for later.
- Beat and fry eggs. Grab a large skillet, and heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Periodically lift the skillet up and tilt it so that the oil will cover the bottom. While the oil is heating up beat the eggs in a small bowl. Once the oil has heated up, pour the eggs into the skillet. Fry the eggs completely, turning them over once.
- Transfer and cut. Once the eggs have cooked all the way through, remove them from the skillet and place them on a plate. When the eggs are on the plate you will need to cut them into strips. These strips do not need to be even or anything, just cut them roughly the same size.
- Cook ham. Add another tablespoon of oil to the same pan that you cooked the eggs in. allow it to heat up for a little while, and then add the ham. Continually stir the ham until it has been lightly browned. When it is transfer the ham to the same plate as the eggs.
- Stir fry the onions. In the same pan that you just cooked the ham add the remaining oil. Allow it to heat up, and then add your onions. Cook the onions for roughly one minute, stirring the onions the entire time, before proceeding to the next step.
- Add peas. While still stirring the onions, add the peas. When you have all the peas in the skillet, cover it up and allow the peas to cook for two to three minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. After two to three minutes have passed, remove the lid, and add the rice, eggs, ham, and the other remaining ingredients. Cook (stirring continually) until the mixture has heated all the way through.
When you have finished cooking the rice, remove it from the stove and put it into a serving dish. While you can always serve it cooled, the ham-fried rice will usually taste best if it is served immediately. Either way, enjoy your feast. Keep in mind that the recipe as it is presented here will provide 10 equal servings.
Contributor of numerous Tips.Net articles, Lee Wyatt is quickly becoming a regular "Jack of all trades." He is currently an independent contractor specializing in writing and editing. Contact him today for all of your writing and editing needs! Click here to contact. Learn more about Lee...
Low Maintenance Houseplants
Are you having trouble keeping your houseplants alive? If so, maybe you have simply chosen the wrong kind of plant to ...
If you are really interested in getting your car looking the best that it possibly can, there is one area that you cannot ...
Renting a Car
Renting a car can often be a tricky proposition, particularly if you have never done it before. Take the confusion out of ...
Succulent Sweet and Sour Pork
Sweet and sour pork is a one of the great Chinese dishes. Here is how you can make it yourself, and impress others at the ...
Savory Chicken Oriental Salad
Chicken salad is an abiding favorite of many. Here is a wonderfully different way of preparing and serving your chicken ...
Stir-fry is fast and easy. Use these tips to help you make this favorite even easier.