Rhubarb pie, when made the correct way, is one that can leave you and your family salivating for more. In order to make a pie that you and your family will love, all you need to do is follow this rather simple rhubarb pie recipe. You will be amazed at not only how easy it is to make, but also how great it tastes.
- 4 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 1-1/3 cups white sugar (granulated)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon of butter, softened or melted.
- Enough of your favorite dough for a 9 inch pie crust, and topping
- Preheat the oven. The first step in preparing your great tasting rhubarb pie is to preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. By doing this, the oven will be ready for you to use when you have finished preparing the raw pie. Frankly it saves a lot of time and effort in the long run.
- Combine dry ingredients. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the sugar and the flour together. When you have both ingredients in the bowl, begin mixing them together so that the sugar and flour are relatively even in distribution.
- Slowly build the pie. When you have the sugar and flour completely mixed, it's time to start building the pie. Begin by laying out half of the dough, and putting it into the pie tin. There should be a slight overhang of the dough over the edges of the pie tin. When you have the pie crust situated, sprinkle 1/4 of the flour and sugar mixture over the bottom of the dough. Pour 1/4 of the rhubarb over this mixture, and then repeat. Repeat the process until all the rhubarb, flour and sugar have been used up.
- Cover and crimp. Brush the edges of the crust with the butter. This will help create a bit of "glue" between the two pieces of crust. Lay the second half of the crust over the pie filling, lining up the edges as closely as possible. Using either your fingers, or a fork, gently press the edges of the crust together. Continue to do this all the way around the edge of the pie, and then slice the middle of the pie to allow steam to vent during baking. Feel free to garnish the top of the pie with a light sprinkling of sugar if you like.
- Bake. When you have finished with the crust, place the pie into the oven, using the lowest rack. Allow the pie to back for 15 minutes, and then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Continue to bake the pie for another 40 minutes.
- Remove and cool. Take the pie out of the oven when the allotted time has passed. Place the pie onto a cooling rack, and allow it to cool to your desired serving temperature.
This recipe for fresh rhubarb pie is one that can easily be modified for your personal needs. If you want to make two nine inch pies, simply double the amount of ingredients that you are using, and then follow the recipe as written. One of the best possible things about this type of pie is that you can very easily serve it while it is either warm or cold. All you really need to worry about is that you won't burn yourself, or those that eat it.
One of the true wonders of the holiday season has got to be fresh baked, homemade pumpkin pie. For many people the scent ...
One of the most beloved of all pies is probably cherry pie. If you want a cherry pie, and are interested in saving some ...
If you ask any group of people what there favorite type of pie is, there is a very good chance that at least one person ...